Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A View of an ADHD Life

Many people think that they know what ADHD is. After all, is it not an inability to pay attention? Such a hurtful misconception has led to even more dangerous stereotypes. The most dangerous is that ADHD is a disability. ADHD is a very valuable gift. If a person learns to manage the challenges and accentuate the positives. That is why I started this blog.

Many people with ADHD are reluctant to talk about it. This reluctance allows the general populations view to go unchallenged. I am not saying that most people are stupid or incapable of understanding ADHD. ADHD is just a very complex disease and many publications on the subject are made from a very clinical point of view.

I want to continue reversing this trend. Thankfully, this trend is changing. In recent years, we have seen more celebrities be open about their own diagnosis. In 2008 Ty Pennington reported that he had been diagnosed with ADHD in college. I am very open about my own diagnosis. I also have seen the blessing that openness can bring. People do not pity you or look down on you. Instead, I have had them say things like "Man, I did not know someone with ADHD could do so well" or "that explains why you can handle so many projects". Remaining open about ADHD and explaining how it feels will educate other people.

I see this blog as the greatest level of transparency. I want to give everyone a complete view of an ADHD life. This blog will not be a clinical or research view of ADHD. I want to share as much of my life as possible. No, I will not post anything about my sex life, etc. But, I will post the different projects I am working on, how I educate myself about this condition, resources that I find helpful, and any personal coping mechanisms that I develop.

I believe that regular readers will be surprised. They will be surprised at the level of motivation that comes with ADHD. How much this condition pushes a person to "push the envelope" living on the outer edge of his/her abilities. Oh, we are so much more than attention deficits. I hope you will walk with me and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment